Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Some Scores

Jared and I have been bowling for the past three weeks!  Since our summer had been so busy, it has felt rare that we bowl for three weeks in a row.  But we've gotten back into some kind of routine.

So here are the scores from our first two outings.  I am going to include our scores from Labor Day weekend in a post on our trip to Dallas, so stay tuned for that.

August 19, 2011
Circle Bowl, Baton Rouge LA

JRW- 100
ASW- 188

JRW- 146
ASW- 176

JRW- 122
ASW- 111

JRW- 121
ASW- 148


August 26, 2011
Circle Bowl, Baton Rouge LA

ASW- 118
JRW- 129

ASW- 158
JRW- 150

ASW- 188
JRW- 140

ASW- 92
JRW- 160


So, we have this joke about bowling and consistency.  Basically, in my opinion, if you are a consistent bowler, then there's a chance that you can be a really great bowler, even if your scores are low.  For example, if you line up the same way, approach the lane the same way, and release the ball the same way every time your roll, then you're most likely going to score consistently each game.  Other factors come into play, though, like how tired you are, how heavy of a ball you're using, and if you're warm or cold.  For example, I would say that 80% of the time, Jared and I say, "First game doesn't count," because we are "cold."

All that being said, we have both been rather inconsistent in our bowling lately, as evidenced by our scores!  It's rare for me to roll a 176 and 92 all in the same hour, but I did it!  So, Inconsistency is often anthropomorphized in our trips to the lanes!  She's a cranky bitch, who shows up uninvited.  We aren't her biggest fans, and we'd rather she go away forever.  But, she's usually around for at least a game.

Inconsistency is usually my date to the lanes, but as you can see from these scores, she's been showing up with Jared more often lately.  And honestly, I'd rather she show up with Jared than with me :)

Jared and I are quite competitive: we are both the youngest child in our families of origin, and we learned very early on in our relationship that we should always be each other's partner in Spades.  That being said, when we do bowl against each other, Jared hates to lose.  We sometimes end up in an argument of some kind after we bowl because of how competitive we are.

Often I will say, "I just want to do my best each time," and I also have the goal of breaking 200 someday.  And Jared says, "I just want to do my best, too; but I want my best to be better than you!"  So you can see how sharing the hobby of bowling is wonderful and potentially dangerous for our relationship.  Overall, though, we have gotten much better about supporting each other in our efforts at the lanes.  We really do enjoy going together, and we've learned how not to let the other's success or failure completely determine how we will do as individuals.

For example, I used to be very sensitive to Jared not doing well.  I was so distraught that he was no longer having fun that I would start doing poorly- obviously not on purpose, but because I was so distracted by his feelings of frustration and anger.

Needless to say, we don't have as many arguments as we used to.  One of the best things about us having those arguments is that we would talk through them on the long drive home.  We have learned how to communicate while we are bowling so that we don't accidentally psych each other out or take frustrations personally.

It's been such an amazing thing for our relationship!  One of the many additional reasons to love bowling: open lines of communication with the spouse!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you called inconsistency a "cranky bitch" and that you used the word "anthropomorphized". I had to look it up! :) Also, do you guys take turns going first? Do you think that has any effect on your consistency for the day?

    PS - At the bottom of your blog posts you can tag each post. If you tag posts where you put your score with "bowling scores" without the quotations, it will show up when you click on the "strikes and spares" picture in the future. All your scores in one nice & neat spot for reference when you need to remind Jared that you are getting dangerously close to beating him! :)

    ReplyDelete